Preston Homes of Texas is the premiere custom home builder in Hill Country, Texas. We have nearly 20 years of experience in providing the central Texas area with custom homes of superior quality.
The decision to build the home of your dreams is one of the most significant choices you will ever make. In addition to making that decision, you also have to select a custom home builder that can make the home of your dreams a reality. At Preston Homes of Texas we understand that these decisions can be a bit overwhelming. We want to guide you through the process of custom home construction in order to help take some of the stress and intimidation out of building your dream home.
Beginning the Process
The first step in constructing the home of your dreams is to assemble a list of potential contractors. There are many ways to go about finding local custom home builders. An internet search is always a good place to start, and checking with your local Better Business Bureau is a great idea. Additionally, check with real estate agents in your area. Ask family and friends if they have had good experiences with a custom home builder, or if they know someone who recently has moved into a custom home they love.
Once you compile a list of potential builders, it is time to begin asking questions. Because building a custom home is such a momentous occasion, you want to be absolutely positive that you are hiring the perfect custom home builder for you. You will be working closely with your builder until your home is complete, so you want to be able to trust your builder implicitly to execute the plans you have for your dream home.
Questions to ask Your Custom Home Builder
Since finding the right custom home builder is so important, you will want to ask plenty of questions. The following list of questions is a comprehensive list of questions that you should be sure to ask any potential custom home builders:
- How long have they been in business?
- Will they provide you with references of recent buyers or homeowners?
- What are available options and how customized can the house be (if using a floor plan from the builder)?
- Are you able to up or down-grade appliances?
- What, if any, are the additional fees relating to the home or the specific development chosen?
- Do they offer a warranty? If so, what is the duration of the warranty?
- What are the estimated property taxes?
- Is there an established change order policy?
- How often do the projects go over budget? What is the average overage amount?
- Do they offer a written expected timeline for the project?
- Is there communication during the project? Who would the builder have you contact if there were questions and concerns during construction?
- What is the protocol if construction is not finished on the agreed upon closing date?
- Are there any major development plans for the area within the next 5 years?
- How is the school district rated?
- Are there conveniently located doctors, day care, dentists, grocery stores, etc…?
- Are there emergency services in the area?
The Custom Home Builder you can Trust
Since 1997, Preston Homes of Texas has been in the business of turning dreams into realities. As the National Association of Home Builders notes, “When you’re thinking about buying a new home, selecting the right builder is a key step in creating the home of your dreams. You should feel comfortable asking a potential home builder every question that you think is important.” We want to make you feel as comfortable and excited about building your dream home as possible.
Preston Homes of Texas is an award-winning custom home builder. We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and are a third generation family business. Our impeccable homes and superior customer service make us the custom home builder that you deserve. We would love to meet with you to answer any and all questions you may have about the process of building a custom home. Contact us today to find out how you can stop dreaming about your ideal home, and how you can start living in it.